8 Things Doug Ford Has Been Up To Lately - 2019-08-22

From UmbraXenu
Jump to: navigation, search
F0.png 8 Things Doug Ford Has Been Up To Lately August 22, 2019, Rebecca Gao, Chatelaine

It's been just over a year since Doug Ford and his majority government was sworn in. Since then, there have been numerous cuts, cancellations and controversies (catch up on what Ford and the Ontario PCs did during their first year in government here). Though Queen's Park is currently on a controversial 144-day break until after the federal election in October, Premier Ford and his party haven't taken the summer off. Here are eight recent changes enacted by the Ford government—and what the consequences might be.

Class size increase delayed

On August 22, Ontario's Education Minister Stephen Lecce announced that high school class sizes will only increase to an average of 22.5 students, according to a report from the Canadian Press. The government had previously announced that class sizes would increase from an average of 22 to 28 over four years. This means 3,475 fewer teachers in the system, but that will be done through not filling positions when teachers quit or retire—the government says there will be no "involuntary job losses." Teachers have warned that the changes will lead to fewer course offerings and extracurricular activities, and that some classes, specialized ones, in particular, would balloon in size. Though class sizes will stay about the same this year, the size will still grow to 28 over the next four years, as planned by the PCs. Ontario is also currently in the middle of bargaining with teachers and education workers, and Leece says he is open to changing the plan to increase class sizes if teachers and boards can propose other ways to find cost savings.

Wikipedia cite:
{{cite news | first = Rebecca | last = Gao | title = 8 Things Doug Ford Has Been Up To Lately | url = https://www.chatelaine.com/news/doug-ford-news-cuts/ | work = Chatelaine | date = August 22, 2019 | accessdate = August 23, 2019 }}