|“||Many of these new campus free speech groups and their audiences are hypocrites; they argue for unlimited or near unlimited free expression rights for far-right personalities, but against free expression rights for leftists, anti-racists, and anti-fascists. Their audience calls for BLM protestors to be arrested for blocking roads as part of their demonstrations, and wants anti-fascists to be designated as terrorists by the government. The Free Speech Club asked the RCMP to investigate and lay charges against another student for organizing demonstrations against them and went to the UBC administration in the hopes that the school would punish the organizer.||”|
—Sean Orr (June 26, 2020). "UBC Chair Resigns After Far-Right Social Media History Exposed". Canadian Anti-Hate Network. https://www.antihate.ca/ubc_chair_resigns.
While superficially about Free Speech issues, most of these campus disputes usually mean "free speech for far-right and extreme anti-abortion speakers", with a token sprinkling of other unpopular topics.
Most of the high-profile far-right speakers are brought in by outside organizations, like Turning Point USA, Young America's Foundation and others, paying the transportation and speaker's fees well outside the means of most student groups.
This seems to be part of a strategy to drain educational institutions:
- Load institutions with massive security costs.
- Highlight protests as the Intolerant Left.
- Rally points for groups like the Proud Boys, Wolves of Odin, etc.
- A wedge issue with Centerists.
- Lawsuits if the speaker is blocked.
- Legislation to defund institutions that block far-right "free speech".
- Paradox of tolerance article from Wikipedia
This category has the following 18 subcategories, out of 18 total.
- ► Free Speech Mandate (4 P)
- ► Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms (15 C, 39 P)
- ► Leadership Institute (1 C, 18 P)
- ► Men's Issues Awareness Society (6 P)
- ► Young Americas Foundation (6 C, 17 P)
Pages in category "Trojan speakers"
The following 36 pages are in this category, out of 36 total.
- Calgary lawyer challenging gay-straight alliance bill compares pride flags to swastikas - 2018-11-11
- Campus clash: Students battle over what constitutes free speech - 2017-04-18
- Campus life threatened, student groups say of Ford's opt-out initiative at Ontario universities and colleges - 2019-09-01
- Conservative Group Fires Michelle Malkin Over Support for Holocaust Denier - 2019-11-18
- Conservatives' on-campus flyers maligning 'left-wing' professors anger academics, faculty representatives - 2019-09-12
- Debunking Ford's doublespeak - 2019-03-17
- Donald Trump takes cue from young conservative firebrand Charlie Kirk, signs an executive order for free speech on college campuses - 2019-03-21
- Donald Trump, Jr, Kimberly Guilfoyle and Charlie Kirk Shouted Down by Conservatives at UCLA - 2019-11-11
- Doug Ford's fearless fight against the Communist threat on Ontario campuses - 2019-02-15
- Doug Ford's Orwellian 'Free Speech on Campus' Policy Calls For Crack Down on Student Protests - 2018-08-21
- The Conservative Dark-Money Groups Infiltrating Campus Politics - 2017-03-29
- The fall of the "alt-right" came from anti-fascism - 2018-04-15
- The real reason Trump is pushing a free speech order on college campuses - 2019-03-05
- Trickle-Down Antagonism - 2017-05-10
- Trump Is Providing Cover for Radical Anti-Choice Activists on College Campuses - 2019-03-29
- Turning Point USA relies on fabricated controversy - 2019-04-05