President and CEO: Joseph L. Bast|
Chairman: Herbert J. Walberg
(FYE December 2015)
|Slogan||Ideas that Empower People|
The Heartland Institute is an American conservative and libertarian public policy think tank founded in 1984 and based in Arlington Heights, Illinois, in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. The Institute conducts work on issues including education reform, government spending, taxation, healthcare, education, tobacco policy, global warming, hydraulic fracturing, information technology, and free-market environmentalism.
In the 1990s, the Heartland Institute worked with the tobacco company Philip Morris to question or deny the health risks of secondhand smoke and to lobby against smoking bans. In the decade after 2000, the Heartland Institute became a leading supporter of climate change denial. It rejects the scientific consensus on global warming, and says that policies to fight it would be damaging to the economy.
|Updated||April 29, 2020|
|Subsection||03 - Charitable Organizations|
|Deductibility||1 - Contributions are deductible.|
|2018||.pdf file 990, $0.00, 10/08/19|
|2017||file 990, $2,295,434.00, 08/23/18|
|2016||file 990, $1,762,166.00, 09/05/17|
|2015||file 990, $1,799,732.00, 09/08/16|
|2014||file 990, $2,985,124.00, 08/19/15|
|2013||file 990, $697,671.00, 06/04/14|
|2012||file 990, $482,571.00, 07/09/13|
|2011||file 990, $330,493.00, 07/18/12|
|2010||file 990, $771,570.00, 07/19/11|
|2009||file 990, $815,362.00, 08/05/10|
|2008||file 990, $242,945.00, 08/20/09|
|2007||file 990, $145,214.00, 09/22/08|
- The Heartland Institute article from Wikipedia
- "2015 IRS Form 990". 20 June 2016. https://www.heartland.org/_template-assets/documents/about-us/2015%20Form%20IRS%20990.pdf. Retrieved 7 February 2017.
- "Joe Bast's bottom line | Think Tank | Politics" (in en). https://www.scribd.com/document/220221575/Joe-Bast-s-bottom-line. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- Conway, Erik; Oreskes, Naomi (2010). Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming. US: Bloomsbury. ISBN 1596916109. https://books.google.com/books?id=CrtoNFTuPwwC.
- McIntyre, Lee (2015). Respecting Truth: Willful Ignorance in the Internet Age. Routledge. p. 75. ISBN 978-1138888814.
- Routledge Handbook of Climate Change and Society. Routledge. 2010. p. 256. ISBN 1135998507. https://books.google.com/?id=ahGUAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA256#v=onepage&q&f=false. "The Heartland Institute, a leading think-tank promoting climate change denial..."
- James Hoggan, Richard Littlemore (2009). Climate Cover-Up: The Crusade to Deny Global Warming. Greystone Books Ltd. p. 79. ISBN 1553654854. https://books.google.com/?id=cfuVBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA79#v=onepage&q&f=false. "Similarly, the Heartland Institute, a small regional think tank in the 1990s, emerged as a leading force in climate change denial in the past decade"
- Streep, Abe (10 July 2014). "In Las Vegas, Climate Change Deniers Regroup, Vow to Keep Doubt Alive". Bloomberg News. https://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-07-10/in-las-vegas-climate-change-deniers-re-group-vow-to-keep-doubt-alive. Retrieved February 23, 2018.
- Bast, Joseph; Taylor, James M. (2015). "Global Warming: Not a Crisis". Heartland Institute. Archived from the original on March 17, 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160317052130/https://www.heartland.org/ideas/global-warming-not-crisis.
- Heartland Institute, RationalWiki.
This category has the following 5 subcategories, out of 5 total.
Pages in category "Heartland Institute"
The following 30 pages are in this category, out of 30 total.
- Climate Denial Group Protected Former Executive Charged With Stalking Colleague, Ex-Staffers Say - 2018-01-17
- Conservative Think Tank Included Convicted Sex Offender In Climate Expert List For EPA - 2017-10-27
- COVID-19 'Liberate' Groups Are the Same Ones Pushing Climate Denial - 2020-04-20
- COVID-19 'Liberate' Groups Are the Same Ones Pushing Climate Denial - 2020-04-22
- Rebekah Mercer, Billionaire Donor to Anti-Climate Science Causes, Is Off the American Museum of Natural History Board - 2020-02-24
- Republicans Gone Wild? - 2018-03-29
- Robert Mercer starts big money effort for Trump and RNC after cutting back support - 2020-04-15
- Robert Mercer starts big money effort for Trump and RNC after cutting back support - 2020-04-16
- The Conservative Dark-Money Groups Infiltrating Campus Politics - 2017-03-29
- The Mercers, Trump's Billionaire Megadonors, Ramp Up Climate Change Denial Funding - 2018-01-25
- The Strange Story Behind Canada's Controversial 'Eco-Capitalist' Organization - 2017-01-31
- Trump's Man on Campus - 2018-04-06
- Trump's man on campus - 2018-04-07
- Turning Point USA tried influencing elections at K-State. SGA just allocated them $3,000 to host speakers on campus - 2019-04-02