Category:US Commission on International Religious Freedom
|“||USCIRF is an independent, bipartisan U.S. federal government commission created by the 1998 International Religious Freedom Act (IRFA) that monitors the universal right to freedom of religion or belief abroad. USCIRF uses international standards to monitor religious freedom violations globally, and makes policy recommendations to the President, the Secretary of State, and Congress. USCIRF Commissioners are appointed by the President and Congressional leaders of both political parties. Their work is supported by a professional, nonpartisan staff. USCIRF is separate from the State Department, although the Department's Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom is a non-voting ex officio Commissioner.||”|
Church of Scientology International
The International Religious Freedom Act of 1998 provides for the Commission to be composed of ten members:
- Three appointed by the President
- Three appointed by the President pro tempore of the Senate, of which two of the members shall be appointed upon the recommendation of the leader in the Senate of the political party that is not the political party of the President, and of which one of the members shall be appointed upon the recommendation of the leader in the Senate of the other political party
- Three appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, of which two of the members shall be appointed upon the recommendation of the leader in the House of the political party that is not the political party of the President, and of which one of the members shall be appointed upon the recommendation of the leader in the House of the other political party.
- The Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom, as a non-voting ex officio member
IRFA provides that "Members of the Commission shall be selected among distinguished individuals noted for their knowledge and experience in fields relevant to the issue of international religious freedom, including foreign affairs, direct experience abroad, human rights, and international law." Commissioners are not paid for their work on the Commission, but are provided a travel budget and a 15-20 member staff. Appointments last for two years, and Commissioners are eligible for reappointment.
As of March 2016, the Commissioners were:
- Dr. Tenzin Dorjee (Chair). Also Professor at the Department of Human Communication Studies, California State University, Fullerton.
- Kristina Arriaga de Bucholz (Vice Chair). Also former Executive Director of Becket Law.
- Gayle Manchin (Vice Chair). Also former First Lady of West Virginia from 2005 to 2010.
- Gary L. Bauer. Also former president of Christian conservative policy and lobbying organization the Family Research Council from 1988 to 1999.
- Andy Khawaja. Also CEO of e-commerce merchant services and online payment processing services provider Allied Wallet.
- Nadine Maenza. Also Executive Director of Rick Santorum's conservative values PAC Patriot Voices.
- Johnnie Moore. Also founder and CEO of the KAIROS Company, a public relations consultancy.
- Tony Perkins. Also current president of the Family Research Council.
- International Religious Freedom Act of 1998
- United States Commission on International Religious Freedom article from Wikipedia
- White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships
- US Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom
- USCIRF website
- Template:Cite journal
- "Commissioners". http://www.uscirf.gov/about-uscirf/commissioners. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "Dr. Tenzin Dorjee, Commissioner". United States Commission on International Religious Freedom. http://www.uscirf.gov/about-uscirf/dr-tenzin-dorjee-commissioner. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "Kristina Arriaga de Bucholz, Vice Chair". United States Commission on International Religious Freedom. http://www.uscirf.gov/about-uscirf/kristina-arriaga-de-bucholz-vice-chair. Retrieved 2017-08-15.
This category has the following 16 subcategories, out of 16 total.
- ► John Bolton (57 P)
- ► Global repeal of blasphemy laws resolution (empty)
- ► International Religious Freedom Act of 1998 (3 C, 14 P)
- ► Zuhdi Jasser (4 P)
- ► Leonard Leo (1 C, 26 P)
- ► Tony Perkins (16 P)
- ► Religious extremism (7 C, 1 P)
- ► David Saperstein (rabbi) (6 P)
- ► Thomas Reese (2 P)
- ► US Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom (6 C, 10 P)
- ► US International Religious Freedom Annual Report (2 C, 4 P)
Pages in category "US Commission on International Religious Freedom"
The following 20 pages are in this category, out of 20 total.
- Religious liberty ambassador's resignation raises concerns - 2013-10-22
- Right-Wing Activist Tony Perkins Is New Chair Of Major Religious Freedom Commission - 2019-06-19
- Russia Restricts Religious Freedom...Again - 2016-08-23
- RUSSIA: USCIRF Condemns Enactment of Anti-Terrorism Laws - 2016-07-08
- Russian lawyer accuses a judge of falsification in the case of a prisoner of conscience - 2018-12-04
- U.S. gathering on religious freedom sets up competing narratives - 2018-07-21
- U.S. int'l religious freedom interest downgraded to special 'advisor' from 'envoy' - 2015-10-14
- US Government 'adopts' Russian Scientologist in religious rights protest - 2018-09-28
- US religious freedom commission reauthorized at last minute - 2011-12-17