DOJ announcement on Pennsylvania ballot investigation baffles election experts - 2020-09-24
Election experts and lawyers are bewildered by a press release from the Department of Justice, in which the department said it had begun an inquiry into a handful of military ballots in a northeastern Pennsylvania county. Most unusually, the release revealed that the voters had cast their ballots for President Donald Trump.
On Thursday afternoon, the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Middle District of Pennsylvania announced it had opened an inquiry into nine ballots that were found "discarded," without elaborating on what exactly that meant. All nine ballots had been cast for Trump, the release said.
The Justice Department later issued an amended statement, saying that in fact seven had been cast for Trump and two had been resealed, meaning it could not be determined for whom the other ballots were cast. The press releases did not specify any particular crime or allege any wrongdoing, and said election officials were cooperating in learning what went wrong.
Election experts were bewildered at the few details included within the press releases and the unorthodox manner in which they were announced, and were troubled by the fact that the Justice Department said the ballots had been cast for the president.