Doug Ford Won't Be Running in the Next Provincial Election - 2014-02-20

From UmbraXenu
Jump to: navigation, search
F93.png Doug Ford Won't Be Running in the Next Provincial Election February 20, 2014, David Hains, Torontoist

On Thursday morning, controversial first-term councillor Doug Ford (Ward 2, Etobicoke North) announced that he will not run for the Progressive Conservative party in the next provincial election. The councillor said he was unable to commit to a provincial run because he wants to concentrate on managing his brother Rob's mayoral campaign. "I can't wear two hats and be a candidate for the PC party and a campaign manager," he said.

Doug has long expressed a desire to get into provincial politics, and perhaps even to be premier someday. "I definitely have provincial political aspirations," he said in a press conference today, keeping the door open for a future provincial run. Doug also announced that he does not intend to run for council in 2014, but said he might return to City Hall to work for $1 if his brother wins re-election. It is unclear what this bargain job would involve.

Ford deflected questions about whether he had been asked by the party not to run because of the many controversies dogging the Ford family, and said he supported leader Tim Hudak. He added that he and Rob will not be doing campaign work for Hudak in the event of a provincial election, because they are busy doing their own door-knocking.

Wikipedia cite:
{{cite news | first = David | last = Hains | title = Doug Ford Won't Be Running in the Next Provincial Election | url = https://torontoist.com/2014/02/doug-ford-wont-be-running-in-the-next-provincial-election/ | work = Torontoist | date = February 20, 2014 | accessdate = August 25, 2019 }}