Doug Ford stands by remarks that prompted defamation lawsuit by fired OPP deputy commissioner - 2019-04-01
Premier Doug Ford is not backing down from remarks that prompted a $5-million defamation lawsuit against him by a former Ontario Provincial Police deputy commissioner Brad Blair, who was fired from the OPP after revealing Progressive Conservative efforts to get the premier a police van with $50,000 in customized upgrades including a reclining leather couch, sued Ford last week for stating on several occasions that Blair had breached the Police Services Act.
Blair has not been charged with or convicted of anything under the legislation that governs police conduct. Ford faced questions on the lawsuit Monday following an announcement at an Etobicoke car dealership. "When I say something, I usually stick by it," the premier told reporters after first saying, "I have no comment on that because it would be in front of the courts and the courts will decide."
Blair's lawsuit has not been tested in court. It says Ford's statements were "grossly negligent," "malicious" and "demonstrably false" when he said Blair violated the Police Services Act. Read more: Fired OPP deputy sues Doug Ford for $5 million Fired deputy OPP boss calls his dismissal a 'reprisal' Blair launched a separate lawsuit in December aimed at forcing Ontario's ombudsman to investigate the hiring of Ford's friend Ron Taverner as OPP commissioner, which Blair argued put the independence of the country's second-largest police force at risk.