"Under renovation", since mid-2012
|Type||Class V Org|
|Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale|
The former "Continental" Org in Canada for Scientology, WISE, CCHR and other groups. Eight stories plus a penthouse floor. Currently mothballed and rotting.
- Closed, "under renovation" since mid 2012.
Org activity relocated to temporary org 3rd floor, 77 Peter St.Closed at or before May 2016. Org activity relocated to temporary org at 2 College St.Closed at or before May 2018.
- Org activity relocated to temporary org at 284 King St E, Toronto.
- Continental Liaison Office activity relocated to temporary CLO Canada location in Guelph Ontario.
- 696 Yonge St. (St. Mary St, South of Bloor)
- (416) 925-2145
- President: Yvette Shank (Probably relocated to wherever the CLO is.)
- Executive Director: Werner Strejewski
- Director of Special Affairs (OSA): Pat Felske
- Director of Legal Affairs (OSA): Unknown
- Director of Public Affairs (OSA. Frequently a mask for the DSA): Pat Felske
- Body Router: Mario.
- Ethics Officer: Edmund Yee.
|Church of Scientology Mission of East TorontoClosed in 2009.
- Church of Scientology Mission of Riverdale, 302 Broadview.
- Church of Scientology Mission of Malvern, 1371 Neilson Road, Suite G08, Scarborough, Ontario. However as of August 2013, they weren't listed at that address.
- CCHR, now has the address of 3545 Lakeshore Boulevard West, Etobicoke, Ontario.
- Drug Free Marshals.
- Foundation for a Drug-Free World.
The temporary org
|Remarks||Closed at or before May 2016.|
|Remarks||Closed in 2009.|
- The org does not own the sidewalk under the overhang, according to city charts showing the width of Yonge St.
- The building sways in high wind and cracks windows. Original owners were granted a variance to add the overhang to catch falling glass from above.
- During the peak year of Anonymous protests, a temporary "gentleman's agreement" was made with the police to not picket on the public sidewalk in front of the Org, mainly because of pedestrian traffic considerations due to the number of Anonymous protestors. The Anonymous who agreed to this are long gone, the agreed period is long over, and previous Old Guard protestors always picketed in front of the Org from 1997 through 2004 or so. I believe that the Org has claimed that they can't be responsible for the actions of their members who might go out of control. Fine. That's no reason to curtail the Charter of Rights and Freedoms rights of legal protestors. Do nothing illegal, take lots of video, and if any of their picket handlers loses their nut, give copies of the video to the police and social media.
Religious status in Ontario
- They don't have it due to lack of Canadian charity status.
- Some reverends managed to get on the Ontario list for performing marriages during the pre-CRA rejection period, currently five left.
50% property tax exemption
- Obtained by legal threat to Toronto while the Revenue Canada charity application was being processed.
- It was supposed to be reviewed after application approved/denied, but Revenue Canada keeps results confidential, including rejection, so that never kicked off the review process.
- Meanwhile property tax authority was shifted to a provincial company MPAC in 1998, which doesn't seem to want to open that can of worms.
- Do they use the Toronto example to get other exemptions in Ontario?
- Involved groups:
- While the property is vacant during renovation, it can't be used for religious purposes and should be taxed at the full rate.
- Which municipal bodies/departments have authority over renovations?
- Do they have any kind of permit or permission for renovations?
- It seems that their alteration proposal was refused January 2013. New applications were submitted December 22, 2014 and are still under review as of February 28, 2015.
- Church of Scientology opens in Malvern November 14, 2011, Mersiha Gadzo, Toronto Observer
- Recon, it looks like The Church (CULT) Of Scientology Scarborough Mission CLOSED, GONE!!!, August 5, 2013, RootedLinuxBrian, YouTube.
- White, Suzanne; Carter, Terrance (April 29, 2005). "Becoming a Recognized Religious Denomination In Ontario". CHURCH LAW BULLETIN No. 9. Carter & Associates }. http://www.carters.ca/pub/bulletin/church/2005/chchlb09.htm. "6. A certified copy of the incorporation papers for your denomination is required. This will reflect the date and place of incorporation or founding of the religious body. A copy of your registration as a charity with Revenue Canada is also required."
- Ontario list of marriage officiants by name, Ontario Government and Consumer Services, August 28, 2015.
- Church of Scientology vs. City of Toronto and Regional Assessment Commissioner, Region No. 9 (696 Yonge Street) (Ward 6), November 30, 1995.
- Toronto Org 50% Property Tax Exemption, July 27, 2008, WhyWeProtest.
- Building Additions/Alterations Refusal, City of Toronto, Jan 15, 2013.
- City of Toronto: Building Application Status
- Generic org page (CoS site!)
- Toronto | Scientology Inc "Ideal" (Idle) Orgs
- Toronto Organization, Anonymoustoronto.
- Scientology front groups, Anonymoustoronto.
- Toronto - David Stokes, February 26, 2012, Marty Rathbun's blog.
- Toronto — Ideal Org Bust, April 10, 2013, Mike Rinder's blog.
- Toronto Anons’ Close Scientology Org in 2 minutes. An Open Challenge May 15, 2008, The Frame Problem, blog.
- TorontoAnonymousCell, protest videos, YouTube.
- thekancer's channel, protest videos, YouTube.
- Scientology History in Toronto
- Toronto Org, previous version of this page.
- City of Toronto Municipal Licensing & Standards property investigations