Category:Church of Spiritual Technology
Imported POS Wikipedia article under revision.
Hollywood Guaranty Building
|Formation||May 28, 1982|
|Headquarters||6331 Hollywood Blvd. Ste 1200, Los Angeles, California, USA|
Author Services Inc|
Mile High, Inc
The Church of Spiritual Technology, also known as CST, is a Californian 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, incorporated in 1982, which owns all the copyrights of the estate of L. Ron Hubbard. The CST is doing business as L. Ron Hubbard Library. The organization receives its income from royalty fees paid to it by licensing of the copyrighted materials of Dianetics and Scientology to Scientology-connected organizations approved by the Religious Technology Center, and from its wholly owned for-profit subsidiary Author Services Inc. which publishes and promotes Hubbard's fiction works.
In a 1993 memorandum by the Church of Scientology International, the role and function of CST has been described as follows:
"[...] CST [...] is an autonomous church of the Scientology religion outside of the international Scientology ecclesiastical hierarchy. CST conducts an extensive program of activities to preserve and archive the Scientology Scriptures for use by future generations. CST also owns the option to acquire RTC's rights to the Scientology advance[d] technology and religious marks under three narrowly defined sets of circumstances, each of which contemplates a serious threat to continued existence of the religion. CST is the principal beneficiary of Mr. Hubbard's estate, provided that it obtains recognition of its tax-exempt status. [...]"
The Church of Spiritual Technology (CST) was incorporated by Sherman Lenske in Woodland Hills, California on May 27th, 1982. The Bylaws of CST were signed on June 7th, 1982 by its General and Special Directors, who were at that time Lyman Spurlock, Rebecca Pook, Maria Starkey, Stephen A. Lenske, Sherman D. Lenske and Lawrence A. Heller. In 1986, CST's Articles of Incorporation were amended to clarify the "disposition of the corporation's assets upon dissolution".
On August 18th, 1993, CST filed an application for tax exemption under section 501(c)#501(c)(3)|501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Internal Revenue Service granted CST's request for exemption through an official recognition letter on October 1st, 1993.
At the time of the filing for tax exemption, the following individuals held corporate positions at CST: The Board of Trustees was composed of John Allcock, David Lantz and Russell Bellin. Thomas Vorm, Russell Bellin and Catherine Schmidt formed the Board of Directors. CST's president was Russell Bellin, its vice-president Thomas Vorm, its secretary Jane McNairn and its treasurer Catherine Schmidt.
Licensing of Trademarks & Service Marks
The existence and founding of CST is intimately connected to the creation of the Religious Technology Center, which was incorporated on January 1st, 1982. Shortly after its inception, RTC received on May 16th 1982 "the ownership, supervision and control" of the trademarks and service marks, identifying "Scientology applied religious philosophy" and "Dianetics spiritual healing technology" by the originator and founder of Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard through a so-called "Assignment Agreement".
This agreement was subject to an additional "Option Agreement" between Hubbard, RTC and CST. In two so-called "Option Agreements" from May 1982, Hubbard granted CST the right to purchase at any time from RTC the "Marks", the "Advanced Technology" and all the rights to them for the sum of $ 100.
Parallel and similar sounding agreements between Hubbard, RTC and CST were created during that period concerning the so-called "Advanced Technology," which consists of unpublished derivates of Scientology's confidential "Advanced technology".
Under these agreements, RTC is forced to turn over 90% of its net income to CST. A document from 1991, reflecting the "financial money flows" of RTC during the year 1989, actually showed a turnover of 59% of RTC's net income towards CST.
California corporate information
California Business Search as of December 15, 2014:
|Entity Name:||CHURCH OF SPIRITUAL TECHNOLOGY|
|Entity Address:||419 N LARCHMONT BLVD #86|
|Entity City, State, Zip:||LOS ANGELES CA 90004|
|Agent for Service of Process:||JEANNE REYNOLDS|
|Agent Address:||3500 W OLIVE AVE|
|Agent City, State, Zip:||BURBANK CA 91505|
The CST oversees the Scientology scriptural archiving project, which aims to preserve the works of Hubbard on stainless steel tablets and encased in titanium capsules in specially constructed vaults throughout the United States. The most famous example is the Trementina Base, an underground vault built into a mountainside near Trementina, New Mexico. It is marked by a CST logo visible only from the air and was built in the late 1980s.
The very first time the Church of Spiritual Technology was mentioned publicly to scientologists by COB RTC David Miscavige in 2000 on the New Year's event.  Its founders included Meade Emory, a non-Scientologist who used to work for the Internal Revenue Service but went into private practice as a tax lawyer. He was hired as a specialist for the complex Internal Revenue Codes. The Church of Scientology International and most Scientology organizations settled with the IRS about 11 years later when the service passed a resolution in 1993 declaring them tax-exempt.
Unlike other Scientology organizations (which require all corporate officers to be Scientologists in good standing), as well as the Scientologist general directors and staff, the Church of Spiritual Technology includes "Special Directors" who are not required to be Scientologists, but who are required to be lawyers "to ensure that CST takes no action to jeopardize its tax-exempt status" (CST vs. IRS, US Claims Court No. 581-88T, June 29, 1992).
|Updated||July 12, 2018|
|Name||Church Of Spiritual Technology|
|Subsection||03 - Charitable Organizations|
|Deductibility||1 - Contributions are deductible.|
Church of Spiritual Technology
|Year/Period||Income||Agencies lobbied||Doc ID||Firm||Client||Lobbyist||Issues|
|2005 Year-End||$9999||US House of Representatives, US Senate||3084dad0-ab5b-46b7-b57e-e6c4487ceb6b||Grunfeld, Desiderio, Lebowitz, Silverman & Klestadt LLP||Church of Spiritual Technology||Richard Wortman|
|2006 Year-End||$9999||US House of Representatives, US Senate||200037690||Grunfeld, Desiderio, Lebowitz, Silverman & Klestadt LLP||Church of Spiritual Technology||Peter Klestadt|
|2007 Mid-Year||$9999||US House of Representatives, US Senate||200056738||Grunfeld, Desiderio, Lebowitz, Silverman & Klestadt LLP||Church of Spiritual Technology||Peter Klestadt|
|2007 Year-End||$9999||US House of Representatives, US Senate||300005807||Grunfeld, Desiderio, Lebowitz, Silverman & Klestadt LLP||Church of Spiritual Technology||Peter Klestadt|
- The History of Scientology's Weird Vaults - The Bizarre Battlefield Earth Connection! August 31, 2013, Tony Ortega, Underground Bunker
- Letter by the Internal Revenue Service to Flemming Paludan, Regional Director, Danish Tax-Office, Washington, D.C., USA, December 22nd, 1993
- Author Services, Inc. (ASI) representing the literary, theatrical and musical works of L. Ron Hubbard.
- Summary Description of Other Scientology Organizations - CST (Church of Spiritual Technology), Author's Family Trust, ASI (Author Services Inc.) - CSI Prod. 11-4-93, Bate Stamp: 151412 - 151413, Ex. 1-8, Washington, DC 1993
- Articles of Incorporation of Church of Spiritual Technology, Endorsed Filed in the Office of the Secretary of State of the Sate of California, Woodland Hills, California, May 27th, 28th & June 1st, 1982
- Bylaws of Church of Spiritual Technology, California, June 7th, 1982
- Certificate of Amendment of Articles of Incorporation - Church of Spiritual Technology, Endorsed filed in the Office of the Secretary of State of the State of California, Bate Stamp: 02008 - 02009, California, April 9th, May 13th & 14th, 1986
- Form 1023 - Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code - Church of Spiritual Technology, Washington, DC, August 18th, 1993
- Recognition Letter for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status - Church of Spiritual Technology, Washington, DC, October 1st, 1993
- "Assignment Agreement (LRH/RTC) (Marks)", Notarized Agreement between L. Ron Hubbard and the Religious Technology Center, County of Los Angeles, California, May 16th, 1982
- "Option Agreement (Marks)", Notarized Agreement between L. Ron Hubbard and the Church of Spiritual Technology, County of Los Angeles, California, May 10th, 1982/July 9th, 1982
- Option Agreement (Advanced Technology-U.S.) - Notarized Agreement between L. Ron Hubbard and the Church of Spiritual Technology, California, May 10th & July 9th, 1982
- "Assignment Agreement (LRH/RTC) (Advanced Technology - US)", Notarized Agreement between L. Ron Hubbard and the Religious Technology Center, Los Angeles, California, May 10th & 16th, 1982
- "Religious Technology Center - Analysis of Financial Flows 1989", Exhibit I-9 for Application for Tax-Exempt Status 501(c)(3), Bate Stamp: CSI Prod 11-4-93 151414
- How to obtain permission to reprint The Way to Happiness booklets, The Way to Happiness Foundation International. Retrieved 2006-12-02.
- Henderson, Bob (1991-07-25). "Vault to get Hubbard's writings". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved 2007-12-12.
- WashingtonPost.com - 'A Place in the Desert for New Mexico's Most Exclusive Circles', Richard Leiby, Washington Post, p D01 (November 27, 2005)
- Cooper, Anderson (2005-12-02). "Inside the Church of Scientology" (Transcript). Anderson Cooper 360. CNN. http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0512/02/acd.01.html. Retrieved 2007-09-23.
- New Year 2000 event speech excerpt, by D.Miscavige
- Faculty | UW School of Law
- CST vs. IRS - United States Claims Court, June 29 1992
- Scientology's shell game.
- CST vs. IRS 1992 "The Articles of Incorporation require that CST have three such Special Directors, and further requires that they be lawyers in order to ensure that CST takes no action to jeopardize its tax-exempt status. The General Directors and staff of CST are, however, closely linked to other Scientology organizations. The General Directors (the governing body) must be in good standing with the mother church. Staff members are required to be members of the Sea Org. Trustees of the organization are required to have been Scientologists for at least eight years, and must be highly trained in the teachings and technology of Scientology. CST trustees are also required to remain actively involved in giving and receiving Scientology services. They must also participate in at least twelve and one half hours of training per week."
This category has the following 22 subcategories, out of 22 total.
- ► Dylan Gill (32 P)
- ► Hollywood Guaranty Building (7 C, 96 P)
- ► Jeanne Reynolds (empty)
- ► Alex Wheeler (1 P)
Pages in category "Church of Spiritual Technology"
The following 74 pages are in this category, out of 274 total.(previous page) (next page)
- Scientology's Concentration Camp for Its Executives: The Prisoners, Past and Present - 2012-08-02
- Scientology's Concentration Camp: Where Can Miscavige Put "The Hole" Now? - 2012-03-27
- Blog: Scientology's Inner Circle - 2015-04-08
- Blog: Scientology's Lame Response - 2017-03-16
- SCIENTOLOGY'S MARCH AGAINST TIME - 1991-05-31
- Scientology's Master Spies - 2012-11-29
- Scientology's Organizational Madness - 2014-08-25
- Scientology's Puzzling Journey From Tax Rebel to Tax Exempt - 1997-03-09
- Scientology's Secret Ranch: Where LRH Will Reincarnate? - 2012-02-16
- Scientology's secret sites: The Bunker premieres drone footage never before seen of 'Int Base' - 2016-09-07
- Scientology's secret vaults get their star turn on the new TV network, and it's nutty! - 2018-03-27
- Scientology's Secret Vaults: A Rare Interview With a Former Member of Hush-Hush "CST" - 2012-02-06
- Scientology's Shiny New Mark Ultra VIII E-Meter - 2013-12-04
- SCIENTOLOGY'S SPACE MAN: The newest defector from church management opens up - 2016-02-12
- Scientology's Writers of the Future Contest: Troubling Ties to Abuse in the Church - 2012-03-12
- Scientology, Deep in the Heart of Texas: The Voice at the Debbie Cook Hearing - 2012-02-09
- Sensibly Speaking Podcast 177: Scientology's Church of Spiritual Technology ft. Dylan Gill - 2019-01-25
- Sensibly Speaking Podcast 180: Much More About CST ft. Dylan Gill - 2019-02-15
- Blog: Seven Questions Every Scientologist Has the Right to Ask - 2009-07-30
- Blog: Shelly Miscavige Guarded By Armed PI's - 2014-02-07
- Blog: Shelly Miscavige Guarded By Armed PI's first published Feb 7 2014 - 2020-03-12
- SHELLY MISCAVIGE ON VIDEO: Never-before-seen footage from before her disappearance - 2021-03-08
- SHELLY SPEAKS: Scientology Leader's Banished Wife Says She'll Get Out "Only One Way" - 2013-07-17
- SHOCK DOX: Scientology's 2011 book value for just two of its entities is $1.2 billion - 2014-04-07
- Blog: Shreff Sets Flag MAA Straight - 2012-08-06
- Sinking the master mariner, L Ron Hubbard - 1984-10-28
- Blog: Taking a hard look at Scientology's slush fund, the unlicensed and unregulated IAS - 2016-07-29
- TEN YEARS GONE: Shelly Miscavige, the wife Scientology's leader wants us to forget - 2015-09-07
- Blog: The "Scientology Media Center" and Ideal Org BS - 2014-05-06
- The $cientology Discount: Church Tax Documents Reveal How Church Paid For A-List Members' Hotel & Restaurant Bills - 2014-04-18
- Blog: The Black Bag Department - 2014-03-17
- Blog: The Black Bag Department - 2020-03-13
- Blog: The Church of Scientology and Tax Exemption - Part I - 2014-12-01
- Blog: The Church of Scientology Increasingly Embraces Big Pharmaceutical Companies - 2017-09-15
- Blog: The Church of Scientology International Has No Members - 2014-05-02
- Blog: The Core of Scientology is Its Malicious System of Sham Contracts - 2014-10-23
- The Decline and (Probable) Fall of the Scientology Empire! - 2011-01-01
- The disturbing detail other media missed about TMZ's Scientology scoop yesterday - 2016-12-29
- Blog: The ex-SO Hall of Shame - 2019-03-17
- Blog: The Hasbro Mark VIII Easy Bake Ultrameter Warehouse Edition - 2013-11-26
- The History of Scientology's Weird Vaults - The Bizarre Battlefield Earth Connection! - 2013-08-31
- Blog: The Hole: A List of Prisoners - 2019-04-23
- Blog: The Miscavige Dozen: Twelve Trusted Church of Scientology Functionaries - 2014-05-17
- Blog: The Missing Executives of Scientology - 2017-08-08
- Blog: The Responsibilities of Leaders, Part II: Power, Mary Sue, and Where's Shelly? - 2018-03-18
- The Saga of David Mayo: Scientology's Banished Tech Wizard - 2013-04-13
- Blog: The Scientology Mafia Wall Chart - 2014-11-04
- Blog: The Sea Org: Fact or Fiction? - 2015-02-26
- The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power - 1991-05-06
- The Top 25 People Enabling Scientology, No. 9: The San Bernardino Sheriff's Office - 2020-11-05
- The Two Faces of Scientology - 1992-07-01
- The Valerie Haney interview: Scientology smear tactics, and where Shelly Miscavige is - 2018-11-30
- The Vanity Fair story on Shelly Miscavige: 'Scientology's Vanished Queen' - 2014-02-05
- Thetans roasting on an open fire: It's Christmas in the Bunker, and we're full of cheer - 2017-12-25
- Blog: Thursday Funnies - 2015-07-09
- Tonight on 'Leah Remini': Two witnesses detail David Miscavige's ruthless Scientology takeover - 2017-09-12
- Tonight, 'Vanity Fair Confidential' brings the Shelly Miscavige story to the ID network - 2018-03-12
- What is Scientology? - 2012-01-01
- What Motivated L. Ron Hubbard? Historian Jon Atack Follows the Clues - 2013-08-26
- Blog: What Scientology "Social Betterment" Groups are Really All About - 2016-01-02
- When Richard Nixon ordered the Secret Service to investigate Scientology - 2015-02-03
- Blog: Where Are the Church of Scientology Obelisks? - 2014-06-03
- Where Is Scientology Leader David Miscavige's Wife? - 2018-12-19
- Blog: Why Ideal Orgs? - 2014-08-27
- Blog: Why Ideal Orgs? An Essay by Mike Rinder - 2014-08-28
- Blog: Why Ideal Orgs? Redux - 2015-11-22
- Why Scientology Postponed The Super Power Event: Our Archeological Dig For Answers - 2013-09-23
- Will Shelly Miscavige Be Trotted Out at the Celebrity Centre Gala As a PR Stunt? - 2013-08-05
- Would you buy a used car from this man? Scientology and refunds - a primer - 2015-10-19